Family Sponsorship


What is it?

Family Sponsorship is a particular program by the government of Canada, which empowers you to sponsor your family members to work, study, or live in Canada. Under the family sponsorship program, your family member will have to become a permanent resident of the country. You can sponsor your spouse, dependent child, or conjugal partner under the scheme.

Eligibility for Family Sponsorship

There are some conditions under which you can avail of the benefits of Family Sponsorship. The immigration law of Canada states that a person must be:

  • 18-years or above in age
  • A person must be a Canadian resident or registered as an Indian in the country under the Indian Act of 1876.
  • A person must be a permanent resident of Canada.
  • The person being sponsored is a direct member of the family.
  • The sponsorer must sign an undertaking, promising to provide all the necessary amenities for the sponsee.

If all the above eligibility fulfills, then the sponsorer and sponsee will have to sign a document that asserts that both the parties understand their mutual obligations.

Who can you call to Canada on Family Sponsorship?

The family members who can benefit from the family sponsorship program are spouse, dependent child, or conjugal partner. A person can sponsor his or her common-law partner or spouse.

Family sponsorship for Conjugal partner:

The immigration law of Canada also deems a conjugal partner eligible for family sponsorship. The Immigration law of Canada defines a conjugal partner as:

  • A common-law partner is also defined as a conjugal partner if the partner fails to meet the conditions served under the common partner law. If the person getting sponsored was unable to live for one year with his/her sponsor, they are eligible for family sponsorship as a conjugal partner.
  • Spouses, but the marriage of the sponsorer and sponsee was not possible due to the status or sexual orientation.

Family sponsorship for Spouse:

The conditions for sponsoring a common-law partner or spouse are:

  • The person being sponsored must be of the same sex or opposite sex.
  • The two common-law partners must have stayed together for at least one year.

Note: A sponsored spouse cannot sponsor another spouse for five years since their landing in Canada

Family Sponsorship for a dependent child:

A dependent child must be under the age of 22. The immigration law of Canada allows a dependent child to be sponsored if:

  • He/she is under the age of 22 or,
  • The child under 22 is financially reliant on the parent or is unable to provide for themselves due to medical conditions if over the age of 22.

Sponsorship process:

The sponsorer must pay non-refundable processing fees along with an application to the immigration department for sponsoring someone to Canada. If the process is successful, you will receive a notification from the department. An immigrant visa will be granted to your family members. A right to permanent resident fee must be paid if the person getting sponsored is more than 22-years old.

The sponsored person must land in Canada before the expiration of his or her visa.