Inland Sponsorship

What is it?

Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship allows eligible individuals to sponsor their spouse or partner to become permanent residents of Canada. The Inland sponsorship program operates under in Canada class and requires the foreign spouse/common-law partner to have valid temporary status in Canada, either as a worker, student, or visitor and be physically present and living with a sponsor in Canada.

Open Work Permit

Unlike in Outland Sponsorship process a sponsored person may be qualified for Open Work Permit while his or her application is still in process. Open Work Permit allows working for any employer, anywhere and in any role. The sponsored spouse or common-law partner should apply for open work permit at the same time as for permanent residence. Nevertheless, IRCC explains that if a sponsored spouse or common-law partner has not done so, he or she may still submit an application for an open work permit at a later phase.

IRCC may require interviewing a sponsored person, and he or she will be notified about the date, time, location, and documents to be brought along.If a person applied under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class and submitted an application for an open work permit, his or her work permit would normally be processed within 4 months.

Processing time

IRCC aims at 12 months application processing time. Although, a sponsored person can leave Canada while the application is being processed, it should not be for a long duration or frequent.

For more information on requirements, eligibility and application process please visit Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship.

Assessment Form